Sunday, April 26, 2009

Scary trumpet guys?

I am a girl trumpet player. I play in a band with people in a higher grade then us. Today we rehearsed with the other grade. When I sat down the guy sitting next to me asked if I was bipolar, I responded no, then the guy on my other side asked if I had seizures , to which I also said no (mind you I have had one seizure but he asked in the plural so I didn't lie). Then I asked my band teacher If i could go get the other trumpet in my grade, but we were to busy. They asked if i liked him, and yet again I said no (of course I do like him, as a friend, he's great but thats not what they were asking) anyway what can I do to get them to leave me alone. Eventually the other trumpet from my grade came and they shut up (thank god) but they are sooooooo annoying. Any suggestions BESIDES TELLING THEM TO SHUT UP OR IGNORING THEM!

Scary trumpet guys?
I'm a trumpeter too, and am sometimes stuck in the same situation. Basically there aren't many options.


1. Ask to be moved


2. Make a deal with the nice one to sit with you so that you aren't harrassed by them


3. Try to think of a short phrase that basically says to stop, shut up, and if you say another word I will literally hurt you. (But don't look annoyed if you say it , do it in a deeply serious tone that they will get scared of)





Good luck! Sometimes it's impossible to get idiots to shut up, but most times it works!
Reply:It really sucks being stuck in the mostly male part of the band. I played trumpet for 6 years, then switched to tuba. Just brush them off. If you don't let them get to you, they will eventually get bored and leave you alone. They may even eventually want to talk to you like a normal person.


No comments:

Post a Comment