Sunday, April 26, 2009

Trumpet and Clarinet Players? Marching Band People?

1. How do I fix my squeaking problem on clarinet. I am on a 3 reed after playing for 5 months. I switched from 5 years on trumpet.





Also how do I improve sound quality and my upper range.





Bb sounds really bad sound quality wise, how do I fix this





OR





Trumpet players





1. I have recently switched to a 5c mouthpiece, the tone quality is better than the 7c but the range is a little worse.





How do I improve my range on trumpet without scrunching?





I have no clue how to do a breathe realease well, help!!!





Answer whatever you can, any tips for these insturments and for marching band section leader tips would be apprecitated.





Thanks.

Trumpet and Clarinet Players? Marching Band People?
**clarinet**





i've been playing clarinet for nearly 5 years. so here's what i'd suggest.





did u start on a softer reed? or just on 3? if you haven't tried a softer read, perhaps you can try at least a 2 1/2 for a few weeks. they started me on a 2, and now i play with a 3 1/2. as for the squeaks.. that goes away with practice, try firming up your embochure, keeping your chin flat, and tightening up the corners of your mouth. like i said, it takes time to get completely rid of it.. and even then... it dones't go away completly.. i still sqeak ocasionaly.





as for the sound quality of the upper octive... once again, practice makes perfect. my instructor, when i was first starting to work on those notes, and even now, as i tackle higher notes, says just to sit, and hold out a note, and then, hold out the next note higher. ie. hold out a 3rd octave b for lets say 12 counts, and then move up to the c, and hold that out for 12 counts.. u can continue this all the way up. i had a problem with high d this year for a solo i played, adn i sucked at first, but i would sit there and hold out a high f for a really long time, 12 counts, then breathe, then 12 more counts, and so on... after playing that f, playing the d didn't bother me anymore, cuz i was used to even higher notes.





another thing for sound quality, is, your reed.. if ur reed is too hard, it will sound fuzzy or airy. to solve this, press with your thumb against the reed for 10 seconds or so, it softens it up a little.





and, idk if u do this or not, but when you get your reed damp b4 playing on it, get both ends wet, not jsut the part that goes in your mouth.. if u get the underside that is against the mouthpiece wet too, it helps get your higher notes out a little bit easier.





as for section leader... um, i'm only a freshman currently, and i'm in the colorguard, so i can't be a section leader, but i owuld be if i marched with my clarinet. (1rst chair) um, my band director was just talking about this last week, he said we would need to be able to march in step/time, be able to help the underclassmen if they needed help with ne thing, you'd be able to take control, step up and get whatever needs to be done, done.





if you need any more tips or help, just message me, i'd be glad to help.





good luck!

affiliate reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment