Monday, May 17, 2010

How can I scream on the trumpet, and hit higher notes?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a noob or anything at trumpet. I'm enterinng my 7th year playing the trumpet, and I could hit the high C in my first year. However, a couple years after my first year, I got braces, which drastically affected my range. I now have my braces off, for almost a month, and I can hit the high C with ease, however I can't hit the D consistenly.





In two days I have marching band tryouts, and I hope to get lead. I've been practicing hard ever since I got my braces off, and I am also aiming for one of the four trumpet solos in our fall show. I NEED to hit the high D, for our opener, it is one note towards the end, yet it is SO critical I hit it. Everytime I go to hit the high D, I tighten my lips, blow a fast stream of air (as fast as I can), and either





1. Nothing comes out





or





2. I hit the C below the high D





On another note, I always wanted to learn how to scream on the trumpet, any tips? Thanks SO much

How can I scream on the trumpet, and hit higher notes?
It's not so much about the quickness of the air at that point, as it is the FORCE behind it. Are you pushing air out of your lungs with your diaphragm?





Make sure you aren't 'pinching' the notes out... you're gonna have to go for the gusto and put all your air into it.





In practice, try working your way up chromatically to the D. Do it over and over and over. Then do an appregio to the D. Once you can do that, start trying to hit it on its own.





Make sure you aren't hurting your teeth. It shouldn't take any more pressing of the moutpiece to your lips or pinching of your lips... it's ALL ABOUT THE AIR.





Good luck!
Reply:ok i just wanna ask scream? as for the high note thing for trombone i just started this year well technically jazz band last year anyway just play long tones. play all the notes in ur case with no finger then first finger than second im not sure which finger is for D but just keep practicing long tones.


No comments:

Post a Comment