Monday, May 17, 2010

Transposing Piano music to B flat trumpet?

I need to transpose music from piano music to B flat trumpet.





The piano music has a B flat and E flat as its key signature. How do I transpose this so I can play in the same key with my trumpet?

Transposing Piano music to B flat trumpet?
You will simply read everything UP one whole step. The piano's Bb is the same as your C.





So, if reading a Piano chart and you see an A, you will play a B.





If you see an F 7 Chord on the piano chart, then you play a G 7 chord. If you see that the piano is in the key of E, then you are in the key of F#.





As far as key signatures go, if it is written in flats then you take away two flats. If it is written in sharps then you add two sharps. If it is in C with no sharps or flats, then you add two sharps (F# %26amp; C#) which puts you in the key of D.





I know this is a tough thing to wrap your head around. I do mostly small band jazz gigs, and about six years ago I decided that it would be much more convenient to just read concert parts because I can share charts with anyone else in the band, arrangers don't have to do the extra work...there are a million reasons it can be beneficial. It took a while, but now it is completely natural to sight read concert parts. So much so that when I find myself in a typical reading situation with actual Bb trumpet parts I will accidentally start transposing in the middle of a line...it is a real pain, something I need to work on. Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment