Saturday, May 15, 2010

Will playing trumpet affect my embouchure?

I've been playing french horn for about two years now and I love it to death but i also love the trumpet and have always wanted to play it as well. At the beginning of each school year, we go to this marching band convention and i usually play my horn. This year though i wanted to switch if only for the few months of convention music. I'd also play my horn in another orchestra so it wouldn't be like i was negleting it for several months. So will this really screw with my embouchure or can i make it work?

Will playing trumpet affect my embouchure?
It really shouldn't make a difference. I mean, they're both brass instruments, and both of the embroshures have the same concept. I play oboe, and I tried switching to trumpet for marching, and it of course made a big difference. But unless its something weird like switching to a woodwind, I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply:i'd say you can make it work, any brass instrument is going to use the same mechanics, especially because french horn and trumpet are higher compared to trombone or tuba...you should have no trouble going between the two and just change your embouchure accordingly, practicing either will probably make you better at both


No comments:

Post a Comment