Monday, November 16, 2009

Is Trumpet Jade the same thing as Hobbit Crassula?

I was looking for the name of a plant and I've been given two plant names with accompanying photos that look like the correct plant: The first is Trumpet Jade, which I saw was associated with the word "Gollum." The second is Crassula Ovata or "Hobbit." So... are these plants the same species? What is actual scientific name? What is the most accepted common name? Are "Gollum" and "Hobbit" interchangable in regaurds to this plant? Thanks.

Is Trumpet Jade the same thing as Hobbit Crassula?
Gollum and Hobbit are probably cultivar names. I don't know much about how the cultivar naming system works, since all of my herbarium experience is with wild plants. Hobbit and Gollum are most likely two slightly different cultivars of the Trumpet Jade...
Reply:C.ovata also known as Crassula portulacea called jade plant, jade tree. the other one Trumpet Jade I presume you mean Trollius species. No I don't think they're interchangeable, why don't you try contacting RHS.


No comments:

Post a Comment