Monday, November 16, 2009

Looking for a good trumpet mute?

Can anyone help me pick a good mute for a promising, commited young trumpet player? I saw a Denis Wick Practice Mute on musiciansfriend.com for $30. Is that a good brand for a good price? If not, I hope a trumpet player sees this question and can give me some advice.





Thank you in advance to any and all answers.

Looking for a good trumpet mute?
The mute you have mentioned is a Practice Mute. This is a very, very soft mute that people generally use when they need to practice in a place where they can't make a lot of noise, like in an apartment. It wouldn't be much use in band.





The first mute that I would recommend for a student would be a Straight Mute. It is the most commonly used mute in band and orchestral music. The next mute to get would be a Cup Mute.





My preference for a Straight Mute is one made by the Tom Crown Mute Co. They are the most "in tune" mutes around. Many mutes make a trumpet go sharp, but not Tom Crown's. They also come in a variety of metals. My second choice would be one by Denis Wick. For Cup Mutes my preference would be the adjustable cup Cup Mute by Denis Wick. You can move the cup towards or away from the bell by sliding the cup back and forth.





A big company like the Woodwind Brasswind would have a large selection to look at. You can find them at www.wwbw.com.





Good luck and I hope that helps.
Reply:I was a trumpet player for a while, actually played professionally for a few years. I would go with the Harmon B model Aluminum wah-wah mute at the link below. With the stem all the way in, you can get a wah-wah sound,. The stem can be pulled any distance out, or completely out to change the tone. You often hear this mute in solo trumpet passages in jazz orchestras. Eventually you'll need a straght and cup mute, but the Harmn offers the most versatility for the money, and with the stem out, it's pretty quiet.

flower delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment