Saturday, November 14, 2009

Trumpet and my lips?

ok i have played trumpet for 6 years now and when i was iin 8th grade my lip aberture go really bad. i remember when i was practicing i hit a high B flat and got pian in my lip but then it went away. but a couple days later my aberture was falling apart while i was playing my insrument. my director thought it might be Bell's palsy but i went to a doctor for it and he didnt even know what bel's palsy is, so he gave me this cream and told me to rub it around my lips. i couldnt really play at all for a week or 2. but slowly my aberture came back and i was playing right again. Also it happened when i was in 9 grade the same thing ware me aperture couldnt stay straight while i was playing and it was extremely hard to play cuz i was in barching band and i was expected to play. i went to my doctor but it was i different doc cuz i moved and she didnt no. it took almost 2 months for my aperture to come back to normal. so plzzz if u know wat that could be it would be a big help thank you.

Trumpet and my lips?
You probably need to ask a musician.





Players of brass instruments must form an embouchure (the positioning of the mouth, facial muscles, tongue, and jaw such that the lips will vibrate when blown through). The lips of brass players are subject to high pressures; it takes strength and agility of the lip musculature to maintain the proper embouchure. Both higher and louder notes require greater pressures, translating to greater stresses on the lip musculature.[50] The high stress from the combination of prolonged playing, high notes, and fortissimo intensity predisposes brass players to lip muscle injury.[51]





An example of such an injury is rupture of the orbicularis oris, also known as "Satchmo's syndrome." Trumpet players are most vulnerable because of the high pressures required to play the trumpet, but players of other brass instruments such as the French horn or trombone are also affected. This injury results in a decline in the strength and agility of the lip musculature with weakness during pouting and an inability to maintain high notes. Some trumpet players with Satchmo's syndrome have been treated surgically with success, though prolonged rest is another treatment alternative.[50] In fact, this syndrome is named for Louis Armstrong because it matched the symptoms he experienced in his lips in 1935 that forced him to stop playing the trumpet for 1 year.

flowers funeral

No comments:

Post a Comment