Monday, November 16, 2009

A question for trumpet players:?

I recently started playing the trumpet and i'm having trouble forcing the air to come out. I used to play the tenor saxaphone, so you don't need as much air as you do for the trumpet. For the while that I've been playing it, my throat is really hurting because i think I'm forcing the air through my throat. my question is.. how do you PROPERLY BREATHE and produce air without hurting your throat??

A question for trumpet players:?
I've been playing and teaching trumpet for many years, here's what I think.





There are two things going on. One, you need to keep your throat relaxed and should not have any tension. This could be caused on it's own or in combination with another problem. And that is I think you might be clamping you upper and lower lip together. This is a common embrochure on reed instruments, but a killer for brass players. You want to have a small opening between your lips so that air can easily flow through. I would imagine that your sound is kind of pinched sounding as well. Pull your lips apart, relax, take a deep low breath and blow while buzzing. Open up just enough to improve air flow and sound.





When you breath pull air into only the lower portion of your lungs and then exhale with an open throat. Have you ever blown air onto glass to make it fog up. Same type of feeling, you want warm moist air. I hope you enjoy the trumpet.
Reply:The problem isn't that you are forcing air through your throat, the problem is that you are tensing-up your throat and raising your larynx (wind pipe). Similar to singing, when playing, the muscles in your throat need to be relaxed so that air can flow freely through your larynx (wind pipe). The air flow really isn't different, it is just the embouchure (the shape of your lips in order to play your instrument) which is different. Changing from a woodwind instrument to a soprano brass instrument, like trumpet, may seem different or harder seeing as you no longer have a reed to vibrate for you because your lips are now doing the buzzing that your reed was doing while you were playing tenor sax.





A suggestion is to practice buzzing on your mouthpiece without the instrument in order to get used to buzzing without tensing-up your throat muscles and raising your larynx (wind pipe). If you are a singer, I suggest you do this immediately so that it won't damage your ability to sing.


No comments:

Post a Comment