Thursday, November 12, 2009

Trumpet Range?

I am first chair trumpet this year in 7th grade band, against 7 other players, and tough competition. If I want to keep my chair position next year, I will need to improve my range in the upper register and tone quality with high notes as well. Currently, my range is low F# to about the C or D above the staff, on really good days. How can I improve my range to play significantly above this level, possibly into the scream register or even a double C? I have Arban's complete trumpet/cornet method at home, are there any specific lessons that will exercise my range? Thanks.

Trumpet Range?
wow dude 7th grade and your already hitting 7th and 8th partial?? holy crap wow but anyways the best way is to do lip slurs everyday and go as high as you can a push it everyday....





~DC
Reply:Dude, if your only in 7th grade and you can scream into high C or D, that is already amazing, especially if 7th grade band is beginning band.





To improve on your range, the best thing to do is play long, warm low notes, then work your way up slowly to the highest note you can hit without struggling. Do not, i reapeat, DO NOT press the trumpet against your lips hard using your left hand or with the pinky rest, instead try and hold your trumpet so there is almost non-existant tension on your lips. Take the excersises in Arban seriously, they really help.


No comments:

Post a Comment